Armattan Tadpole 2.5″ Micro Frame
See all of our Armattan products!
We’ve been asked many times to design something smaller for 65mm props. I have been reluctant for two reasons.
The first reason is that there were not many options for small motors and even props for quite some time. By now the popularity of such weight class has brought about many more options in terms of motors, but also good options for 16 x 16 stacks that can run such small models well.
The second reason is that I am not a fan of minimalistic frames with POD-style 3D printed or plastic canopies. And I am not a fan of bottom-mounted lipo for frames made for freestyle and fun flying. Seems most freestyle frames today do not bottom mount the lipo. The word is that a top-mounted lipo offers better flying characteristics. This is all debatable, but I certainly prefer a top-mounted lipo.
I did not think we could make right on weight because having a top mounted lipo means more carbon parts and more hardware adding up to too much weight. So I procrastinated.
I eventually pulled out my pencils and my stencils and decided to draw something up. My goal was to make something light, strong, and it had to have a top mounted lipo. For example, looking at some 5 inch models that have a top mounted lipo, it seemed obvious that the rear end of the model needed not to have the same stack height and needed not to be so wide… These two things alone allowed for shedding enough weight that we stood a chance to make weight.
With Jason Hay’s help, we came up with a number of solutions to keep weight down while meeting our design goals.
Introducing the Armattan Tadpole.
Running 1103s/8000kv on mine and it is silly fast. Feels like 5 inches with more agility. Thank you, everyone. And have fun!
- 65mm props
- top mounted lipo as it makes more sense for a small fun flyer/ freestyle frame.
- custom alumi front cage fully protecting a nano cam
- custom shorter rear alumi posts
- new rubber moulded vtx antenna mount that is modular with the custom alumi rear posts. No bolts needed.
- slightly slanted aerodynamic top lipo plate. (This is the result of shedding weight from the rear end.)
- dry frame weight (fully assembled): 17.5 grams.
- full specs are listed on this page.
- Frame Weight: 17.5 grams
- Motor to Motor: 119.5mm
- Frame Shape: Compressed X
- Main Plate Thickness: 2mm
- Hardware: M2
- Motor Mount Pattern: 9mm
- FC Stack Mount: 16×16 or optional whoop AIO bracket
- FPV Camera Mount: Nano (14mm)
- FPV Antenna Mounts: Customer rubber holder (1.8mm)
- Max Stack Height: 16mm
- Warrantied Parts: Bumper to bumper
1x Armattan Tadpole 2.5″ Micro Frame
If your in need of a replacement bottom plate, you can find it here.